The N.C. Department of Transportation offers students enrolled at accredited historically black colleges and universities, as well as minority institutions of higher education in North Carolina, the opportunity to compete each year for the $2,500 North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship.
Colleges and universities are eligible to receive a maximum of four scholarships within an academic year.
- Bennett College
- Elizabeth City State University
- Fayetteville State University
- Johnson C. Smith University
- Livingstone College
- North Carolina A&T State University
- North Carolina Central University
- St. Augustine’s University
- Shaw University
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- Winston-Salem State University
Recipients of the scholarships are based on their ranking from the scholarship selection committee.
The duration of funding for North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship will be based upon the availability of funds for the 2018-2019 school year.
The North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship Program is very competitive, with no more than 40 applicants being selected this year.
Annually, the maximum that the scholarship will cover is $2,500. Restrictions on the use of fellowship funds are as follows:
- No dependency allowances.
- Scholarship recipients are eligible for funding only during months of full-time enrollment as a full-time student.
- NCDOT will make direct payments to the university or college on behalf of the student, upon receiving an invoice that veriﬁes enrollment.
- Unused funds must be returned to NCDOT within 90 days of the termination date of the scholarship.