The N.C. Department of Transportation offers students enrolled at accredited historically black colleges and universities, as well as minority-serving institutions in North Carolina, the opportunity to compete each year for the $2,500 North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship.
Colleges and universities are eligible to receive a maximum of four scholarships within an academic year.
- Bennett College
- Elizabeth City State University
- Fayetteville State University
- Johnson C. Smith University
- Livingstone College
- North Carolina A&T State University
- North Carolina Central University
- St. Augustine’s University
- Shaw University
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- Winston-Salem State University
Recipients of the scholarships are based on their ranking from the scholarship selection committee.
The duration of funding for North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship will be based upon the availability of funds for the 2019-2020 school year.
The North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship Program is very competitive. Restrictions on the use of scholarship funds are as follows:
- No dependency allowances.
- Scholarship recipients are eligible for funding only during months of full-time enrollment as a full-time student.
- NCDOT will make direct payments to the university or college on behalf of the student after receiving an invoice that veriﬁes enrollment.