Applicants for the North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship must:
- As of the fall 2019 academic year, be enrolled full-time at an accredited historically black colleges and university or minority-serving institution in North Carolina
- Be a rising junior or senior earning a baccalaureate degree or be a conﬁrmed graduating senior pursuing a master-level degree in a transportation-related discipline
- Not be graduating in December 2019
- Plan to enter the transportation profession after completing their higher-level education
- Be a U.S. citizen or be able to submit a certiﬁed copy of an I-20 or I-551 ID issued by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service
Applications will be evaluated by the North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship Program Selection Committee.
This selection committee may be composed of the following:
- Members from the N.C. Board of Transportation
- Secretary of Transportation or his designee
- Prominent state-level transportation professionals, including NCDOT staff
- Transportation academia representing North Carolina HBCUs
- Representatives from the transportation private sector
The panel’s recommendations for selection will be forwarded to the director of the Office of HBCU Outreach at the N.C. Department of Transportation.
The secretary of transportation (or his designee) and the HBCU director will make ﬁnal selections.
It is imperative that applicants provide an accurate and current email address for themselves and their faculty advisor. Applicants will be notiﬁed of their status via email.
Criteria for Evaluation
The North Carolina HBCU/MSI Transportation Scholarship will be awarded based on merit and ﬁnancial need. Criteria includes:
- Class standing, 2.5 minimum grade-point average and unofficial university transcripts
- Resume (maximum two pages) that includes transportation work experience and/or any internships or employer endorsement
- Two letters of recommendation regarding the applicant’s qualiﬁcations (can be from anyone except family members or friends)
- Proposed plan of study and future career plans
- Statement of ﬁnancial need