North Carolina military veterans can apply to carry a "VETERAN" designation on their driver licenses and ID cards as proof of prior military service.
The designation is free, but fees associated with renewing or ordering a duplicate license or ID do apply.
To request the designation, take one of the following proofs of honorable discharge to
an NCDMV driver license office:
- DD-214 – Certificate of Release or Discharge
- DD-215 – Certificate of Release or Discharge
- WD AGO 53/55 – Report of Separation
- NAVMC 78-PD – Notice of SeparationNAVPERS – Separation of Service
- NAVPERS – Separation of Service