Close Menu

Notice of Settlement in Class Action

​​​​​​​The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles will be contacting by mail and email more than 185,000 drivers whose licenses were revoked for their failure to pay fines, penalties, and court costs.​​​When the NCDMV receives notification that you failed to appear in court or pay court fines for a citation received in North Carolina or in another state, you will be notified of the effective date of the revocation if the fines are not paid or waived prior to the date indicated on the correspondence. The revocation will remain in effect until NCDMV is notified by the court that the citation or fine has been paid or waived, and may result in you having to pay appropriate fees to the NCDMV to obtain a duplicate license. Complying with the citation does not relieve you of the consequences for the actual offense if convicted.

You can prevent the suspension for failure to pay by choosing Option A or B:

Option A: I CAN’T Afford to Pay Now.

When people have a hard time paying off tickets, they follow the steps below to ask the court to reduce or waive the amount owed.

Step 1: Fill out the Motion for Relief.  AOC-CR-415.  You can download the motion here​. For help filling out the motion, go to​.  

Step 2: Go to the clerk’s office at the court of the county in which you received your motor vehicle offense and give the clerk the motion. Ask the clerk for a hearing ASAP.  

Step 3: Attend the hearing (you do not need a lawyer but may use one) and tell the judge why you cannot afford to pay. The judge might reduce the amount you owe, give you a payment plan you can afford, or waive what you owe.

Final step: The court will notify NCDMV once you have either obtained a waiver of the amount owed or fully paid off your new payment amount, and NCDMV will stop your suspension.  

Option B:  I CAN Afford to Fully Pay Now.

When people can pay off their ticket, they follow the steps below to stop the suspension of their license.  

Step 1: Call the clerk’s office in the court of the county in which you received your motor vehicle offense to ask how to pay.

Step 2: Pay the court the full amount owed. Online you can pay by credit card​. In person you can usually pay by cash, debit card, credit card, money order, certified check or cashier’s check but confirm with the court. 

Final Step: The court will notify NCDMV after you pay the amount in full, and NCDMV will stop your suspension.  

Read the Full Settlement​

6/6/2022 2:40 PM

Back to top